baus wrote:
> I found the need to this a bit disconcerting in that I really don't
> understand why it is necessary.  I wish somebody could explain it to
> me.

SQLAlchemy has a session context, which tracks objects that have been
loaded from the database, modifications to them, and pending changes.
This context is thread-local in the case of the session_context.

It's also what makes it possible and easy, to issue a single command to
'flush' the modifications to loaded objects back to the database.

However, as the context is thread-local, if you don't clear it at the
beginning of a request, you could likely have 'stale' objects from the
prior request hanging around.

Hope that helps!
- Ben