I'm not sure what the pros/cons of fastcgi are, but I use nginx in
production as a reverse proxy on several projects. This cookbook is for
pyramid, but the configuration is framework-agnostic:

http://docs.pylonsproject.org/projects/pyramid_cookbook/dev/deployment.html#nginx-paster-supervisord

Obviously your INI file will be slightly different for pylons, but the nginx
configuration would remain the same.

Michael