> 2) Return a newly committed object (for instance, if I save a new user
> successfully, I'd like to return that user object to the handler)

You can populate your user object's pkey same as always by issuing a
session.flush() after adding the object to your session. This will dump it
to the database, populate the pkey, and refresh the orm object. The data is
not persisted until you commit the session using transaction.commit() or
allowing pyramid_tm to issue the commit for you at the end of the request.

This may passively answer your previous question, but maybe not. In general
if you're worried about integrity errors you can probably just issue a flush
(which executes the SQL in the db) and see if that works.

One question I cannot answer, however, is how the transaction manager
interacts with nested transactions. Anyone have an answer for this?