You will need to use the pkg_resources api from the Python stdlib.
Currently (this will be fixed in 1.3) there is no public API for computing
paths.

import pkg_resources

asset_path = 'mypackage:static/favicon.ico'
package, file = asset_path.split(':', 1)
abs_path = pkg_resources.resource_filename(package, file)
last_access_time = os.stat(abs_path)[8]

--

Michael