Dear list,

I've been using Pylons for years. Now I want to create a web app in
Pyramid using MongoDB. I followed
http://docs.pylonsproject.org/projects/pyramid_cookbook/en/latest/database/mongodb.html
and the approach works well. I can access the MongoDB database using
request.db from my views.py.

What I'm wondering is how to abstract my data models properly. In Pylons
I was used to import my "myapp.models" and just use that module to
communicate with my persistent storage. Usually that was an SQL database
that SQLAlchemy was talking to.

I wonder what the proper Pyramid pattern would be. On #pyramid (freenode
IRC) other developers recommended that I just pass the request.db object
around to models.py. Sure I can do that. But it feels wrong to me. My
idea was actually to "import myapp.models" and use that as the only way
to use the MongoDB backend. The views shouldn't have a notion of a "db"
object at all so later I could perhaps replace MongoDB by something else
but have all the abstraction in the models.py.

On IRC I was scared with connection pooling and thread locals and
whatnot. I'm not a thread guru. I just want to use MongoDB with Pyramid
in a half-decent MVC fasion. :)

Hints welcome. Thanks in advance.

…Christoph
--
A distributed system is one in which I cannot get something done
because a machine I've never heard of is down. (Leslie Lamport)