this isn't an issue for normal usage, but i got hit by a spider the other
> day that ignored cookies and created over 30k stale sessions.  this will
> pose a problem for me in the future and i'd like to address it (pagecount
> is growing, session and database-cache are in redis running LRU mode).

30k sessions should not be an issue yet. I had 400k sessions and no issues
there. Redis should be very high amount of keys easily.

My suggestion is that

* Have 24 hours or less expiration time for anonymous sessions

* Upgrade the session expiration time when the user logs in, so that logged
in sessions are not forgotten

Also I am pretty sure one can configure pyramid_redis_session not create
session until you save something there. Though not 100% sure here. However
I am saving some stats per user when they come to the site for the first
time (affiliate, etc.)

My 2c (Euro),
Mikko

--