FWIW, Based on the stacktrace, I do not think this is the cause -- but it
could be. There have been a few related bugs in setuptools and pip
regarding the version parser and tag_build directives; the errors I've seen
were not like this - but I saw 3 completely different errors from these
over the past 2 weeks:

https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/9446
https://github.com/pypa/setuptools/issues/2529