Hello,

I’ve seen some conversation here about running a Pyramid app server inside
a Docker container, but none has really answered my questions.

My setup is that nginx runs on the host and currently uses *proxy_pass*
<https://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_proxy_module.html#proxy_pass> to
forward requests to the container’s external port, so that the requests are
then processed and responded to by the Pyramid application running inside
the container.

*Question*: Inside the container I’m running the Pyramid application using
pserve
<https://docs.pylonsproject.org/projects/pyramid/en/latest/pscripts/pserve.html>

which listens on the container’s mapped internal port. Should I switch to
gunicorn <https://docs.gunicorn.org/en/stable/> instead? Does it matter in
such a setup?

The *proxy_pass* URL is http://127.0.0.1:6543 which means that the external
https gets lost. That, in turn, means that within the Pyramid app (inside
of the container) calls to e.g. static_url()
<https://docs.pylonsproject.org/projects/pyramid/en/latest/api/request.html#pyramid.request.Request.static_url>

return a http route instead of the necessary & expected https.

*Question*: I currently use prefix WSGI middleware to rewrite responses (
discussion
<https://github.com/Pylons/pyramid/issues/1435#issuecomment-61654089>) but
that feels hacky. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to make X-Forward-Proto
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/X-Forwarded-Proto>
HTTP
header work quite yet so what’s the current recommendation here? Is the Using
Behind a Reverse Proxy
<https://docs.pylonsproject.org/projects/waitress/en/latest/reverse-proxy.html>
page current and working?

*Question*: Are there any benefits to using a UNIX socket for *proxy_pass*,
instead of HTTP?

Much thanks in advance!
Jens