Hi Thierry,

when I started using Pyramid (Pylons, actually), my first idea was to
integrate the Xapian library, written in C++. Coming from the Zope
world, I tried to adopt some ideas from the ZCatalog. Xapian worked
great, except for one problem: it's a library, not a server, thus it
doesn't handle concurrent updates gracefully (doesn't handle them at
all, actually...).

So, after a little while, I decided to switch to Solr, which is a
great indexing engine written in Java. It takes a little while to get
familiar with it, but it's worth the effort. I used `scorched` for
interfacing with Python. Please note that the PyPI release doesn't
work with Python 3.10, but the Github version does. Scorched doesn't
seem to be actively maintained, unfortunately, but it works fine. I'm
aware that ElasticSearch might be more popular than Solr these days
(they're both based on the ame Apache Lucene libraries), but I haven't
had the motivation to try it out.

I you're looking for a pure Python solution, Whoosh could be a choice,
but it doesn't seem to be actively maintained either. At some point, I
tried to integrate it with Pyramid, but I didn't have enough
motivation to finalise it (I'm happy with Solr, it's superfast, and if
you're doing frontend programming, you can process its JSON responses
directly).

Please note that both Solr/ElasticSearch and Woosh offer faceting, a
feature missing from the ZCatalog.

Hope this helps,

Laurent.