Have you tried using statsd ?  (https://github.com/statsd/statsd)

See
* https://www.etsy.com/codeascraft/measure-anything-measure-everything/
*
https://thenewstack.io/collecting-metrics-using-statsd-a-standard-for-real-time-monitoring/

Typically you log each request start and the stop reason (success, type of
error, etc) and major actions -- e.g. login attempt + login result, inbound
request, etc.  Everything looks nice in graphite, and you can see when you
start having issues.  It's incredibly useful for monitoring the effects of
pushing a new release to production, but it is often used for debugging
logic issues as well.