Hi,

> I hope you didn’t get this wrong! We all appreciate the existence of
> JCC/PyLucene and especially all the effort you’ve put into this.

PyLucene is driven by its own community, and user involvement and contributions
is a must.
The (sub)project will survive only to the extent that its current users invest
in it.

> So if some funding is required to get this going …

For an ASF Open Source Project, the only thing that is required to get going is
user/developer
involvement and teamwork. While Andi started the project due to needs at the
time, and became
a committer, he is no longer an active user, so perhaps time has come for other
users to step ut and take
responsibility.

How “funding” would look like in the Python3 case is not so much sending money
to the ASF,
but more for individual companies like your own, to sponsor (through developer
time) the major
work on the patch, and driving it through to completion. Hopefully other users
will contribute along
the way too.

You will of course need help from experienced developers, but the ideal
situation is that after
a couple of such patches that get committed, you (or the developer working on
the code) will be nominated
as committer and can continue developing PyLucene without the need for Andi or
any other one individual.

> There has been some discussions about the future of PyLucene on this list but
> I still didn't see any conclusion/decision

The discussion sparked some new development and a release, which is a success.
So the decission I guess is to keep PyLucene alive and try to strengthen the
community.
As long as the project continues to produce releases, it is (somewhat) alive.
If on the other hand another year or two goes by without another release, I’m
sure the PMC will take action again.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com