Andi,
I have integrated PyLucene into a Visual Studio 2017 project space including
support for VS Python unit test fixture (AKA Test Explorer) and other IDE
platforms we use that instrument the unit test sets. This required some minor
tweaking to the test classes to support running the test suite independent of a
command line '__main__' (example below).
----------------
# PyLuceneTestCase.py  class PyLuceneTestCase
#line 32 Method __init__ is:
    def __init__(self, *args):
        super(PyLuceneTestCase, self).__init__(*args)

# changed to:
    def __init__(self, *args):
        super(PyLuceneTestCase, self).__init__(*args)
        if not lucene.getVMEnv():
            lucene.initVM(vmargs=['-Djava.awt.headless=true'])
If you would be interesting in supporting the modifications to the unit test
fixtures I will submit them for review & test.

v/r
milo..