> The best way to avoid "derivative work" concern is to code in a "clean room"
> fashion, without reference to someone else's code.  In principle, this could
> be done working from the original paper(s) that describe an algorithm.

I assume this is what authors of other packages have done in the past.
If there's enough interest, and no one is working on this already, I'd be
willing to take a stab at it.

> Not that I'm volunteering ;-)  Just that I would hate to see someone who was
> willing and interested in implementing secondary structure code for PyMol to
> be frightened off the job if, indeed, it could be done in a way that respects
> others' rights.

The other thing I'd find useful is some molecular mechanics tools,
particularly energy minimization.  Blending PyMOL with MMTK seems like a
good way to do this, since MMTK's license looks fairly liberal.
Personally, I'd have to spend two weeks looking at the code for both
packages before I could even start thinking about how this would need to
be done.  I'm certainly not capable of implementing anything like that
from scratch- I slept through math class in college.

-Nat Echols