On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Peter C. McCluskey wrote:

> >The other thing I'd find useful is some molecular mechanics tools,
> >particularly energy minimization.  Blending PyMOL with MMTK seems like a
> >good way to do this, since MMTK's license looks fairly liberal.

I think we're all of the same mind on this : )

>  There shouldn't be any licensing problems, and you could probably get
> some help from Konrad Hinsen (the main author of MMTK), but I suspect it
> would be a good deal of work to do it cleanly. It might be fairly easy to
> kludge something up that involved communicating with MMTK mainly via
> pdb files.

Konrad and I have been talking about this for some time, but neither of us
has had enough time to look seriouly at it.  You can jerry-rig a PDB file
interface in a few minutes, but the potential interaction between the two
programs could be much more robust (and bi-directional!).