Nat,

PyMOL's ray-tracer is pretty simple -- it just divides 3D space up into
equally sized boxes, so that ray-intersection and identification
calculation can be performed rapidly.  The smaller the boxes, the fewer
the number of partial geometries will be present in the box.

Hash_max is a hint to the ray tracer about the maximum number of
subdivisions it should allow on each axis.  In principle, the amount of
RAM used is a 3rd-order function of this value.  However, the ray-tracer
will often use less RAM than that for a variety of reasons.

PyMOL usually ships with hash_max set to 100, since that is reasonable
for a machine with 256 MB of RAM.  300 is about the highest I've tried,
and you could easily require over a Gig of RAM for a situation like
that.

However, there is definitely a point of diminishing returns, which
depends on scene complexity, total number of pixels, etc.  Typically
each ray-tracing scene will have a different optimum, but usually
140-180 gives the shortest overall rendering times.

mailto:war...@delanoscientific.com
Warren L. DeLano, Ph.D.
Principal Scientist
DeLano Scientific LLC