Andreas Foerster <andr...@biochem.utah.edu>:

> - The dss algorithm is great, a very quick way to assign secondary
> structure. Is there a way of conserving the information when saving the
> pdb?
There are at least 3 ways to store SS assignments from PyMOL. Depends on your
needs:

1. Save PyMOL session (*.pse). Atom properties, including "ss", will be
restorable by
PyMOL.

2. Print SS in "PHD-like" format. So, assuming that unfamous 1tii.pdb is loaded
PyMOL>import pymol
PyMOL>stored.ss = []
PyMOL>iterate 1tii//a//ca, stored.ss.append(string.ljust(ss,1))
PyMOL>print string.join(stored.ss,"")

will print single string like
LSSSSSSLLLHHHHHHHLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLHHHHHHLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSLLHHHHHHHHHHHHLLLLSSSSSSSSLLL
LSSSHHHHHLLLLLLHHHLLSSSSLLLLHHHLSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLHHHHLLLLLLLHHHHHHHLLLLLLLHHHHLLHHHH
HLLHHHLL

3. Wait for Warren to vivify cSetting_save_pdb_ss :)

> Sometimes it's nice to edit the assignment.
I haven't understood your question. You might edit dss assignment just by
PyMOL>alter pk1, ss='S'

Is it sufficient?

-igor