Todd,

Unfortunately that is not a problem PyMOL was designed to solve, and off the
top of my head I can't think of any way to bend it around to do this --
you're talking about a different rendering scheme.  I think it amounts to
the following: trace every sharp edge, and outline every round surface that
is tangent to the view.  The former could be done with straight OpenGL, but
the latter would take a custom shader program.

Plus, ideally you'd want postscript or vector output for this kind of
illustration -- not a PyMOL-style raster image. Perhaps Molscript has this
capability? http://www.avatar.se  I think that's what it was originally
written to do, way back before color was invented ; ).

If not, then you might try contacting David Goodsell.  He's got some
fantasic protein illustration software...

http://www.scripps.edu/pub/goodsell/