Hello:

This can indeed by done using the mdo command:
mdo 1: move z, 5;move x, 1.9;move y, 1.3
You can work accel or decel in using a loop in a python script or even a
perl script that spits out the mdo commands.

Alternativly if you want to move only a single chain or object instead of
the whole protein you can use the "translate" command.  These turn out
quite interesting when you have bits of your protein flying in and zoom
etc.

Cheers,
JTM

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Matt Franklin wrote:

> Jose Avalos wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Is it possible to do a movie in which you start looking at the entire
> > enzyme and then you zoom into the active site and finally alternate
> > between different states? If so, can somebody please point me in the right
> > direction?
> >
> > Thank you very much
> >
> > Jose Avalos
> >

> It certainly is possible, but not using the "mdo" commands in pymol (as
> far as I know).  (Actually, a simple linear zoom like the first part of
> what I describe below might be possible.)
>
> I made a similar movie (the non-proprietary part of which I can send you
> if you want) using a script file that looked like this:
>
> (load, color, and render molecules)
> # start loop here
> #
> move z, 5
> png movie_1
> move x, 1.9
> move y, 1.3
> move z, 14.7
> png movie_2
> move x, 1.9
> move y, 1.3
> move z, 14.7
>
> etc. etc.
>
> move x, 1.805
> move y, 1.235
> move z, 13.965
> turn x, -0.3
> turn y, 0.1
> png movie_42
> move x, 1.71
> move y, 1.17
> move z, 13.23
> turn x, -0.6
> turn y, 0.2
> png movie_43
> move x, 1.615
> move y, 1.105
> move z, 12.495
> turn x, -0.9
> turn y, 0.3
>
> etc. etc.
>
> This looks best (most realistic) if rendered in perspective mode, which
> means not raytraced.  This will also make rendering faster.
>
> The first 40 frames of the zoom are just a linear motion, while the last
> 40 frames are a steady deceleration of the linear motion, coupled with a
> sinusoidal rate of turn in x and y (slow, then faster, then slower) to
> bring the view to a gradual halt at the correct position and
> orientation.  This involved some trial and error, as you might imagine.
>
> I generated the numbers you see above in Excel, then used awk to create
> the script file. Setting the origin to the correct location makes sure
> the turns are centered around the right point.
>
> Hope that wasn't too intimidating!  Good luck - this can be really
> impressive when it's finished.
>
> - Matt
>
> --
> Matthew Franklin            Phone:(650)225-4596
> Postdoctoral Researcher       Fax:(650)225-3734
> Genentech, Inc.
> 1 DNA Way, South San Francisco, CA 94080

"We can be sure that if a detailed understanding of the molecular basis of
chemo-therapeutic activity were to be obtained, the advance of medicine
would be greatly accelerated."

Linus Pauling, Nobel Laureate 1954

"...everything that living things do can be understood in terms of the
jigglings and wigglings of atoms."

Richard Feynman

Jason Thomas Maynes
PhD/MD Program