I am trying to use PyMol for doing viz on Nano scale structures which have
very different bonding structures than protiens,etc. So I will not be using
any bond generation algorithms. I provide connect info with atoms info in
pdb files which seems to be doing good.

I have a very general question.I am aware there is no staright forward
answer to this though.

I am just wondering how many atoms can PyMol handle on a modest machine.
(say 2 Ghz, Geforce 4 - 128mb, 1 GB ram).

OR
What is the biggest dataset you might have loaded and did not have
considerable problem?

Please let me know, your answers will help me in taking an educated guess on
Pymols limits.

Thanks
--Amit