yvonne leduc wrote:
I would like some confirmation or explanation about the differences I see, and the way I understand it.
Hello Yvonne,

The command "ray" does not care about the size of your display, it may even be used in batch mode on a computer that does not have a monitor attached to it at all.

To prevent the "cropping" or "zooming" on images created by the "ray" command you have to make sure that the aspect ratio of the width and height of the ray command are the same as the aspect ratio of your current viewport.

Example 1)
        if you will be rendering (thats what the command ray does)
        figures of 2000 x 2000 you should choose a viewport of
        say 700x700, then:

        2000 / 2000 = 1 = 700 / 700

   - so you should execute the command:

        viewport 700, 700

   - and then fine tune your figure and then run the ray command:

        ray 2000, 2000

Exmaple 2)
    - you want images at 3000 Width x 2000 Height

        3000 / 2000 = 1.5

   - your limiting display size is your height so
     try for instance height = 768

        width = height * 1.5 = 768 * 1.5 = 1152

   - but 1152 is wider than your display (1024) so lets try height = 500

        width = 500 * 1.5 = 750 (which is good now, or at least it fits)

  - so you would issue the command

        viewport 750, 500

  - then ray 3000, 2000

And the reason for all this is ...
... is a *.png image created with ray 1000,750 going to be good enough for publication standards? Is there much benefit in going higher? what causes the limits, if any?

The journal usually specifies the resolution at which the images will be printed.

If the journal says images print at 300 dpi (Dots Per Inch) and your figure will have a final printed width of 3 inches then you want to render images with a width of 900.

The publisher will usually scale the picture with a very good software so even if it has to be "enlarged" by a few pixels the result will be good. But if it has to be shrinked you may run into trouble with labels, thin lines etc.

Hope this helped a bit.

Zac
--
Ezequiel PANEPUCCI, Ph.D. - Institut Pasteur
Plate-Forme 6 - Cristallogénèse et Diffraction des Rayons X