Douglas Kojetin wrote:
Building on the two previous posts, is it necessary to use 'viewport' before executing 'ray'?

this:
   ray 2000, 2000

instead of:
   viewport 700, 700
   ray 2000, 2000

I didn't quite understand your post. The viewport command prior to ray tracing is just so you have on the interactive graphics windows the same aspect-ratio of WidthxHeight that you will have on your ray command. You only do it once before starting to work on the picture, or if you decide to ray the image with a different width and height.

This helps preventing cropping the image accidentally and only realizing this after waiting 6 minutes or so for the ray tracing to finish.

The original_400x400.jpg file attached was generated with the png command *without* ray tracing on a viewport of 400 x 400.

The ray_700x800.jpg file attached was generated with the png *with* the ray tracing command "ray 700, 800".

You notice on the ray image that the cartoon is cropped.

I did some heavy loss compression to reduce the file sizes, usually pymol's ray command does a better job than that ;-)

Zac

<<inline: original_400x400.jpg>>

<<inline: ray_700x800.jpg>>