Hi,

First, the initial error you were seeing was a syntax error:

> from sys import argv
> my_argv =3D argv[argv.index("--"):]
> print my_argv[1], my_argv[2]

is failing because of the word "3D"

Second, that used to fail on Linux systems anyway (it worked on some
other systems). I tend to use optparse, which often requires things to
live in sys.argv. Here's my current workaround:

    #argv = sys.argv[sys.argv.index('--') + 1:]
    try:
        argv = sys.argv
    except AttributeError:
        argv = pymol_argv
        sys.argv = pymol_argv # this is necessary for optparse to
handle the --help option.
    try:
        argv = argv[argv.index('--') + 1:]
    except IndexError:
        argv = []

    options,args = parser.parse_args(args=argv)

I haven't re-tested Linux recently, though. It might be that the
pymol_argv workaround is not necessary anymore.

-michael

--
IRTA Postdoctoral Fellow
Laboratory of Computational Biology NIH/NHLBI