From: pymol-users-boun...@lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:pymol-users-boun...@lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Tsjerk
Wassenaar
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 7:17 AM
To: O. J. Ganesh
Cc: pymol-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [PyMOL] sheared spheres for dots in dot representation

Hi O.J.,

What exactly do you mean by 'sheared'
(http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Shear.html). What you see is due to the fact
that you show the 'exposed' part of the vdw sphere of an atom with
substituents. I think that if you want to show them whole, you have to make
them a separate object first. Assuming it's the phosphorous atoms:

create phospho, elem p
show dots, phospho

Hope it helps,

Tsjerk

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 2:58 PM, O. J. Ganesh <ojgan...@mbi.ufl.edu> wrote:

> Hello again.   I'm having a bit of trouble with the dot representation
again.   When I use the dot representation on an object, the sphere on which
the dots reside ends up sheared; that is, I do not get a nice round sphere
to hold up the dots.
> I've adjusted vdw of the object I'd like to have in the dot
representation, however no matter how small (or large) I make the spheres,
the spheres are always sheared.   I also played with the slab settings, and
it doesn't matter how far back I move the 'camera' the spheres are still
sheared.
> Is there some setting that I'm missing?   I'd like to end up with round
spheres for the dots, as in:
> http://www.pymolwiki.org/index.php/Image:Dots_ex.png
> I've uploaded an example of my problem to the wiki as:
> http://www.pymolwiki.org/index.php/Image:Sheared_dots.png
>
> Thanks!

Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.
Junior UD (post-doc)