Hi,

I think that it probably is possible to do this from within pymol, and
probably quite convenient for single molecules.

However, there are two other possible approaches, which would be
helpful for multiple molecules.

Firstly, there is a program called 'dang' made by the Richardson group:

http://kinemage.biochem.duke.edu/software/dang.php

and secondly, might I humbly submit that I have a program I call
'Tailor' that is intended for measuring and analysing (to a limited
extent) selected parts of proteins:

http://tailor.sourceforge.net/docs/index.html

gilleain