Hi Sean,

Unfortunately, getting a good image through POV-Ray requires editing
the POV-Ray file. You can write the scene to disk with the following
commands

pov=open("protein.pov","w")
pov.write(cmd.get_povray()[0])
pov.write("#include \"povray.inc\"")
pov.close()

open("povray.inc","w").write("cmd.get_povray()[1])

Then, take your favorite editor (under windows, you can use the
POV-Ray editor) and make some changes:

1. There's a line starting with #defaults. Remove that and replace it with:

#default {
    finish {
        ambient .15
        diffuse .5
        specular 1
        roughness .001
        reflection { .5 metallic } // Remove this line for less
glossyness and faster tracing
    }
}

2. There's a light statement, which says:
light_source{<4000.0001,4000.0001,9960.0000>  rgb<1.0,1.0,1.0>}.
Replace it with:

light_source
{
   <20,10,0>
   rgb 2
   area_light <5,5,0>,5,5
   adaptive 1
   jitter
}

This usually works for me :)

Note that the trace may now take some time. Remove the metallic
reflection for faster tracing.

I hope it helps. POV-Ray is cool, but rather complicated.

Cheers,

Tsjerk

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 10:21 PM, Sean Law <magic...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> While ray tracing a scene with 10 x-large proteins in grid mode at 3600, 3600
> (width, height) I ran out of RAM (2 GB).  I tried it again by writing
> everything into a script and using pymol -qc which still ran out of memory.
> I read somewhere that POVRAY is less of a memory hog so I installed the
> latest version and simply modified my script to "ray 3600, 3600, renderer=1"
> to use POVRAY.  Everything went smoothly but I noticed that the image
> generated from POVRAY looked different than the native ray traced structure
> using PyMOL's ray tracer (simply invoking "ray" without dimensions in
> PyMOL).  Specifically, the light reflections appeared to be dulled in POVRAY
> and spheres that were further away from the camera view are not
> distinguishable.  I've posted a comparison on the PyMOLWiki:
>
> http://www.pymolwiki.org/index.php/Povray_vs._pymol
>
> Firstly, I apologize as I am completely new to the world of POVRAY and I just
> assumed that the image produced from either method would give identical/close
> results but I much prefer the look of the PyMOL ray-tracer.  Is there an easy
> way to set everything up the same way as the PyMOL ray-tracer but for
> POVRAY?  Thank you for your time.
>
> Sean
>
> ________________________________
> Help keep personal info safe. Get Internet Explorer 8 today!

Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.
Junior UD (post-doc)
Biomolecular NMR, Bijvoet Center
Utrecht University