> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 13:52:25 -0700
> From: Jim Remington <reming...@molbio.uoregon.edu>
> Subject: [PyMOL] Distinct labels on white background (ray tracing)?
> To: pymol-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>
> I would like to have distinct labels for hydrogen bond lengths on a
> ball-and-stick image
> with white background (as required for publication in a particular
> journal). No matter
> what I do, the labels come out washed out and usually light grey. This
> includes
> experimenting with label color, size and font (is there a bold font?).
>
> For the record, I've tried the clues in the wiki and forum, for example
> I've turned off
> ray-trace-fog, depth cueing, ray-shadowing and very high resolution images.
> I still get light grey labels on white background. Does anyone have
> further suggestions?
>
> Thanks much, Jim

Jim,

I can also reproduce this.  I think it's either a bug or one of the 600
settings has a default that is throwing this off.  If you need this ASAP
and don't mind the extra steps, here's a workaround.  You make two
photos and composite them.  Here's how (with comments):

# prepare the scene; and hide your labels
set ray_opaque_background, 1;
bg_color white;
hide labels;

# set up your scene & ray trace it
png layer1.png, ray=1, height=yourSize, width=yourWidth, dpi=yourDPI

# now hide everything but the labels and ray trace the scene
# in mode3--which does make black labels:
set ray_opaque_background 0;
hide;
show labels;
set ray_trace_mode, 3;

# do NOT move the scene in any way; ray trace it
png layer2.png, ray=1, height=yourSize, width=yourWidth, dpi=yourDPI

# go into the GIMP or Photoshop and composite the images
# (put layer2 on top of layer1) or if you have ImageMagick
system composite layer2.png layer1.png finalImage.png

# [optional] Send me $50.  :-)

To get an idea of compositing, check out the 2nd example image/script from:
  http://www.pymolwiki.org/index.php/Gallery

Lastly, Warren I'm sure has a one-line answer, but this should get you
going.

HTH,

-- Jason

--