Stephane,

Okay, I see -- you're just spilling the top digit into the chain id.  So for
residue 10123, you can issue a selection like:

zoom chain 1 and resi 0123

Looking over the code, I note that PyMOL has a hardcoded resi field of just
four characters plus a null.  Given how C compilers pack structs, I suspect we
could extend that to 7 characters plus a null without adversely impacting
PyMOL's memory use characteristics...