Stuart,

Thank you for the reports, and sorry to hear you're having trouble.
Please allow me to draw your attention to the Bug Reporter link on the
PyMOL main page (www.pymol.org <http://www.pymol.org/> ).  The direct
link is:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=104546&group_id=4546&func=browse

One advantage of using the bug reporter system is that you can submit
accompanying script or data files which reproduce the problem.

With respect to meshes, rendering of meshes is not generally broken in
1.2r1, so there must be something specific about your input which is
triggering the crash.  We may need an example file, or at least a PDB
code with associated commands, to reproduce the problem.  Likewise,
"fetch" is known not to be generally broken, so we may need more
information about reproducing the problem.

[For what it's worth, I just confirmed that:

fetch 1fjf, async=0

show mesh

ray

runs fine with 1.2r1].

As for selector, it is not a supported part of the supported Python
"cmd" API, but rather, an internal module.  In other words, you should
not ever need to be importing it.  Operationally speaking, the Python
cmd. api is defined by the file "modules/pymol/api.py", and virtually
all public symbols should be accessed as methods or submethods of this
module.