I use a clunky set of mdo commands to do this.

mdo 266: set transparency, .1, (palm+linker+Nterm)
mdo 267: set transparency, .2, (palm+linker+Nterm)
mdo 268: set transparency, .3, (palm+linker+Nterm)
mdo 269: set transparency, .4, (palm+linker+Nterm)
mdo 270: set transparency, .5, (palm+linker+Nterm)
mdo 271: set transparency, .6, (palm+linker+Nterm)
mdo 272: set transparency, .7, (palm+linker+Nterm)
mdo 273: set transparency, .8, (palm+linker+Nterm)
mdo 274: set transparency, .9, (palm+linker+Nterm)
mdo 275: set transparency, 1, (palm+linker+Nterm)

If the surfaces are turned on for objects palm, linker and Nterm, then
this will fade out the surface over frames 266 to 275. Setting the
transparency to 1 and then reversing the order of the values will make
the surface fade in.

HTH

Matthew Hogg
University of Vermont