On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Ariel Talavera <talav...@cim.sld.cu> wrote:

> How can I use the color by element (HNOS) function present in the GUI,
> in a script?

I don't think there's a single command that does this; I've always done
something like this:

color grey80, elem c
color white, elem h
color red, elem o
color blue, elem n
color orange, elem s

and so on (in python, these become 'cmd.color("grey80", "elem c")', etc.).
 I just discovered that there is also a separate color name for each
element, e.g. "color carbon, elem c" will work, but the default coloring
scheme seems a bit wacky sometimes (carbon is green, etc.).  If there was a
convenient way to switch between available color sets (e.g. all of the
options available in the menus), that would be awesome.  Currently the
atom-name colors are hardcoded in C, unfortunately.

Nat