Thank you all and certainly seems llike now I am going to some right
direction.

I have read some discussion part (page 14) of the paper Maia sent, as stated
below, the BSA ( value for my dimer interfaces are ~1000 (as predicted by
PISA) which according to the Krissinel paper, is biological relevant.
Moreover, the hexameric structure is reported to exist in the same specie on
which I am working on.

It has been concluded in a number of studies [20, 68, 69, 70] that BSA
larger than 600-850°A2 indicates a biologically relevant interface. A lower
figure of 400 °A2 was found in Ref. [9] and then used in the Protein
Quaternary Structure (PQS) server [5]. The minimal BSA of potentially stable
crystal dimers in our dataset is found to be 390 °A2 (PDB entry 1SDX [67]),
which agrees with the
literature data. However, it follows from Figs. 3B,5A and above
considerations that unspecific interactions may prevail at ABSA · 3000°A2,
causing substantial changes to the original complexes, and, therefore,
dimeric structures with low ABSA may be misrepresented by crystals.

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 1:29 AM, Maia Cherney <ch...@ualberta.ca> wrote:

> In his latest paper
>

> E. Krissinel (2009). /Crystal contacts as nature's docking solutions/. J.
> Comp. Chem., in press; published on-line 6 May 2009; DOI 10.1002/jcc.21303
>
> Krissinel wrote that DGdiss error is 5kcal/mol. I think that DG~5kcal/mol
> is a gray zone. Then he compares docking results with actual structures, a
> lot of failures! Is your protein exactly the same as documented or from a
> different species? My protein has three different oligomeric states from
> three different species, and the monomers from  different species superpose
> well.
>
> Maia
>
> humayun scherrif wrote:
>

>> Thank you all for the replies.
>>    * The protein itself makes hexamer which is well documented and
>>      proved structural evidence from other cytoplasmic domains ( my
>>      structure is also a domain).     * I have run PISA, but the online
>> PISA server didnt give me output
>>      like standalone PISA in CCP4 (result is mentioned below). Online
>>      PISA results show that "there are not significant dimer
>>      interfaces and thus the trimer structure is because of only
>>      crystal packing result"
>>    * For homology modeling I didnt get any proper homologs which have
>>      hexameric assembly (I@ Bryn: I cant send you PDB id since its
>>      not submitted yet)
>>
>>  Analysis of protein interfaces suggests that the following  quaternary
>> structures are stable in solution (I wonder the DGdiss is positive value, is
>> it significant to make Hexamer assembly because I couldnt find any help to
>> find out about the allowed values)
>>
>>  ----.-----.---------------------------------------.---------------
>>  Set |  No | Size  Id      ASA       BSA    DGdiss | Formula
>>  ----+-----+---------------------------------------+---------------
>>   1 |   1 |   6    0   19917.7    5536.3      3.8 |     A(2)B(2)C(2)
>>  ----+-----+---------------------------------------+---------------
>>   2 |   2 |   3    1   10722.9    2004.1      6.2 |      ABC
>>  ----+-----+---------------------------------------+---------------
>>   3 |   3 |   4    2   14004.2    3014.9      0.5 |      A(2)B(2)
>>     |   4 |   1    3    4217.5       0.0         -0.0 |      A
>>  ----+-----+---------------------------------------+---------------
>>   4 |   5 |   2    4    7506.2    1003.3      7.0 |        AB
>>     |   6 |   1    3    4217.5       0.0        -0.0 |        A
>>  ----+-----+---------------------------------------+---------------
>>   5 |   7 |   2    5    7443.8    1000.8      6.8 |      AB
>>     |   8 |   1    6    4282.4       0.0     -0.0 |         A
>>  ----+-----+---------------------------------------+---------------
>>   6 |   9 |   2    7    7556.5    1008.3      2.0 |      A(2)
>>     |  10 |   1    8    4227.1       0.0     -0.0 |        A
>>     |  11 |   1    3    4217.5       0.0     -0.0 |        A
>>  ----'-----'---------------------------------------'---------------
>>

>> Waiting for your reply
>> Thanks

> [...]

Best Regards,

Humayun Sharif
Research Assistant
Protein Structure and Function Laboratory
Gwangju Institute Of Science & Technology,
Gwangju, 500-712, Republic of Korea
Tel (Res) :+82-62-718-4176
Tel (Lab) : +82-62-970-2549
Email: hum....@gmail.com