Hi Jason,

I had my problem in ubuntu, not windows. I could open pymol only from
the education menu (not from a terminal). I wrote several e-mails to
pymol list, and nothing helped me. Then incidentally I upgraded my
ubuntu from 8.04 to 9.04 and several things started working
automatically, such as pymol started to open from a terminal window. Of
course, some other programs stopped working etc. Now everything is ok.
The pymol version that I have has come with ubuntu package, it's Version
1.1r2pre. Works fine.

Maia