Hi Jason ,
Thanks to your example I figured it out and it seems like there is
small problem with the status message text even when it fails.

So if I had a created object obj01

This works:
set cartoon_cylindrical_helices , 1, obj01

This does not work:
set cartoon_cylindrical_helices , 1 , (obj01)

In both cases pymol echoes a
"cartoon_cylindrical_helices set for 222 atoms in object "obj01" "
in the status text. The only difference is the parentheses around the
object.
I guess the correct syntax is to not have the parentheses around the
object name.

Thanks for all your help
Hari