Thanks,

Clearly my assumption about using the VMD plugins was wrong (and the
reader in dxplugin.cpp doesn't appear to even read that line, much
less assume it will say "double").  As a more general question, does
pymol use the plugins in contrib/uiuc/plugins/molfile_plugin at all or
is that a relic from some earlier time?  Since the directory was still
being updated in June 2009, I assume it is at least used for some
files?

-David