Hi John,

It's what we're here for. If we care not to be bothered, we can unsubscribe.
Anyway, you have to raytrace the image if you don't have an OpenGL
window. Add cmd.ray(xresolution,yresolution) before, or add it to the
cmd.png command directly.

Cheers,

Tsjerk

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 8:46 AM, John Russo <lamaro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sorry to bother this mailing list so much but it
> seems that I cannot save images.
>
> This is the script examply.py
>
>     from pymol import cmd
>
>     cmd.load(sys.argv[1])
>     cmd.hide()
>     cmd.show("spheres")
>     cmd.set('sphere_scale',0.3)
>     cmd.set('orthoscopic',1)
>
>     cmd.png("printme.png")
>
> which I execute like this:
>
>     pymol -qrc examply.py -- mymolecule.xyz
>

> But I don't get the file printme.png. Executing the
> script interactively
>
>     pymol -r examply.py -- mymolecule.xyz
>
> I can see that the molecule looks ok but still I don't get a png image.
> I have to type "png printme.png" in the pymol command line to get it.
>

> Does anybody now why is this?
>
> Thanks.
>

> On 02/17/2011 07:30 PM, David Hall wrote:
>> No idea if this will fix your problem, but what I've found is portable
>> across binaries from Delano Scientific/Schroedinger and
>> OS/self-compiled versions of pymol is to instead run:
>>
>> pymol -r examply.py -- mymolecule.xyz
>>
>> (or if I'm making pngs, usually pymol -qrck examply.py -- mymolecule.xyz )
>>
>> The -- makes it so mymolecule.xyz is passed as an argument to the
>> python script instead of as an argument to pymol
>>
>> Then examply.py is just
>>
>> from pymol import cmd
>> import argv
>> import mymodule
>>
>> cmd.load(sys.argv[1])
>> cmd.hide()
>> cmd.show("spheres")
>> mymodule.dosomething()
>>

>> Note, that pymol has to be able to find mymodule, which if you're
>> using a Delano Scientific/Schrodinger binary can be annoying, but it
>> looks like that is already working for you.
>>
>> Also, http://pymolwiki.org/index.php/Python_Integration makes it look like
>> pymol -l examply.py -- mymolecule.xyz
>>
>> may work, but I've never done it, so no idea how the behavior differs.
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 3:05 AM, John Russo<lamaro...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Thanks, that is what I was looking for! I just made a simple
>>> script out of it which looks like this
>>>
>>> #!/usr/bin/env python
>>>
>>> import pymol
>>> from pymol import cmd
>>> import mymodule
>>>
>>> pymol.finish_launching()
>>>
>>> cmd.load("mymolecule.xyz")
>>> cmd.hide()
>>> cmd.show("spheres")
>>> mymodule.dosomething()
>>>

>>> I've noticed something strange though. The dosomething() function just
>>> colors atoms according to some order parameter. If I execute in the script
>>> above it is quite slow, I can see individual atoms being colored. Instead if
>>> I execute dosomething() from within the pymol interpreter it is much faster.
>>> Any reason for this?

Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.

post-doctoral researcher
Molecular Dynamics Group
* Groningen Institute for Biomolecular Research and Biotechnology
* Zernike Institute for Advanced Materials
University of Groningen
The Netherlands