You are right, Thomas! The information is redundant in REMARK 290.

I just performed a small test which confirms your conclusion:
remove CRYST1 will make symexp to complain "ExecutiveSymExp-Error: No
symmetry loaded!" even if REMARK 290 is present, while removing REMARK
290 does not have any effect on symexp.

don't know whether it make sense to monitor both cryst1 and remark 290...

--
Hongbo ZHU