Hi Ian,

As this may be of broader interest, I forward it to the pymol user list too.

You can clip the scene using an intersection. Let's say that you have
the object you want to clip stored as a povray include file
"object.inc". Then you can get the clipped object as:

//###
pymol_object = union { #include "object.inc" }
clip = ...; // Here you need to fill in the 16th number from
get_view(), giving the distance of the front clipping plane
intersection { object { pymol_object } plane { z, -clip } }
//###

The plane could also be defined as plane{z,0 translate -clip} or,
along the same lines, as plane{z,0 rotate 30*y translate-clip}. Like
that you can have the clipping plane rotated.

Do note that such intersections are often very slow. Especially with
meshes (like surfaces) it is likely to be a pain (but potentially
yielding great imagery :)). With many separate objects, spheres in
particular, you can clip each of them separately, which is much
faster, especially if you use the directives 'bounded_by' and
'clipped_by'. For a sphere defined as

sphere{<0,0,0>, 1 pigment{color rgb 1}}

this means that you convert it to

intersection{
  sphere{<0,0,0>, 1}
  object{IntersectionObject}
  pigment{color rgb 1}
  bounded_by { sphere{<0,0,0>, 1} }
}

I would suggest scripting this... :)

Hope it helps, and good luck!

Cheers,

Tsjerk

--
Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.

post-doctoral researcher
Molecular Dynamics Group
* Groningen Institute for Biomolecular Research and Biotechnology
* Zernike Institute for Advanced Materials
University of Groningen
The Netherlands