Hi,

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 6:12 AM Nadine Utz [mailto:nad...@mmb.pcb.ub.es]
wrote:

> > Dear pymol users,
> >
> > I am looking for a way to "zoom in" a molecule, like the slab mode when
> > you are rolling the scroll wheel. The reason why rolling the scroll
> > wheel does not work in my case is that the resulting change is too
> > coarse grained, i.e. either I cannot see all the atoms I want to or
> > there are some atoms in front of the part I am interested in. I tried
> > as
> > well "clip slab, x", but then not just atoms in front of the
> > interesting
> > part are not shown but as well behind it.
> >
> > So, what I need is a cross-sectional view of my system, in which only
> > everything in front of the cut is not shown (but everything behind).
> >
> > Thank's a lot for any help,

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 07:56:09 -0400 "Schubert, Carsten [PRDUS]"
<cschu...@its.jnj.com> wrote:

> Nadine,
>
> Probably the command line is your best friend here. Look into the 'clip
> near,x' and 'clip far,x' command, which allows to move the front and
> back clipping planes in x increments. Positive values move towards you,
> negative values of x away from you.
> If that does not provide enough fine grained control you may want to
> think about making a composite picture to 'fake' clipping planes per
> object.

You can also control the front and rear clipping planes independently by
holding down the "Shift" key along with the right mouse button (assuming you
are in the standard 3-button viewing mode).  Moving the mouse vertically
changes the front clipping plane and moving it horizontally changes the rear
clipping plane.

Cheers,
Rob

--
Robert L. Campbell, Ph.D.
Senior Research Associate/Adjunct Assistant Professor