Hi Martin,

The following works for me, although I needed to change 'protein' to
'polymer'. Is 'protein' normally supported as a selection? It doesn't seem
to be in 1.4.1.

from pymol import cmd
cmd.fetch('1rx1')
a = cmd.get_extent('polymer')
print "a is",a

Hope that helps,

-Michael

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 7:40 AM, Martin Hediger <ma....@bluewin.ch> wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I found that PyMOL offer the cmd.get_extent('protein') function, which
> returns the dimensions of the selection.
> Is it complicated to make this function available from within an
> ordinary Pythonscript?
>
> Thanks for hints.
> Martin

Michael Lerner, Ph.D.
IRTA Postdoctoral Fellow
Laboratory of Computational Biology NIH/NHLBI
5635 Fishers Lane, Room T909, MSC 9314
Rockville, MD 20852 (UPS/FedEx/Reality)
Bethesda MD 20892-9314 (USPS)