Sounds awesome! Adding an option to chose whether to load the script every
time PyMol launches, or just fetch and use it once, would be even more
convenient. It would resemble installation of packages from Linux
repositories ;)

On 4 May 2011 18:59, Michael Lerner <mgler...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm considering building in a mechanism for automatically fetching scripts
> from the PyMOL Wiki. The goal is to allow users to say
>
> fetch findSurfaceResidues, type=script
> findSurfaceResidues doShow=True, cutoff=0.5
>
> The convenience benefits are obvious, especially for new users, and I think
> that lowering the barrier to script usage will greatly increase both the
> number of people who use various scripts and the incentive to place scripts
> on the wiki (especially if the fetch mechanism makes it easy for script
> authors to provide a citation/DOI/etc.).
>
> I've put up a tentative page about this on the wiki (
> http://pymolwiki.org/index.php/Fetching_scripts), and I'd love comments
> either via the list, private email or on the wiki, especially about
>
>  - whether you think it's a good idea
>  - security and validation
>  - options you'd like
>  - implementation issues
>
> The plan is to write this as a userland script first. If issues relating to
> security and validation can be resolved, we'll see if the official builds
> want to include it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Michael
>
> --
> Michael Lerner, Ph.D.
> IRTA Postdoctoral Fellow
> Laboratory of Computational Biology NIH/NHLBI
> 5635 Fishers Lane, Room T909, MSC 9314
> Rockville, MD 20852 (UPS/FedEx/Reality)
> Bethesda MD 20892-9314 (USPS)

Thomas Evangelidis

PhD student

Biomedical Research Foundation, Academy of Athens

4 Soranou Ephessiou , 115 27 Athens, Greece

email: tev...@bioacademy.gr

          teva...@gmail.com

website: https://sites.google.com/site/thomasevangelidishomepage/