Pymol-ers,

I am writing to alert the Pymol community that I will be co-organizing (under the auspices of the Council on Undergraduate Research) a session at the 2012 American Crystallographic Association meeting (July 28-Aug 1) devoted to practical aspects of developing X-ray crystallography at a predominantly undergraduate institution (PUI). A portion of this session will be devoted to protein X-ray crystallography.

This session may be of interest to faculty at PUIs who are conducting protein X-ray crystallography, or are contemplating setting up a laboratory to conduct protein crystallography with undergraduate researchers. The session may also be of interest to individuals who are contemplating seeking faculty positions at PUIs and would like to know more about the challenges and successes of protein crystallography at PUIs. The session is still in the planning stages, but I anticipate the formal session will address instrumentation acquisition (aka external funding), undergraduate research training, and crystallographic pedagogy. We expect to have an exceptional panel of presenters that will also provide informal networking opportunities during the meeting.

I am interested in hearing faculty at PUIs who are currently active in protein X-ray crystallography, and might be interested in attending or applying to be a presenter in this special meeting session. If you are currently conducting protein X-ray crystallography at a PUI, shoot me an email.

Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor
Department of Chemistry
Colgate University