Dear PyMOL community,

I'm pleased to announce the first pre-release of the new plugin
architecture, which is part of my fellowship project (Warren L. DeLano
Memorial PyMOL Open-Source Fellowship, http://pymol.org/fellowship).

Brave beta testers can fetch the code from
https://github.com/speleo3/pymolplugins

See the README file for how to install it.

Important Notice: This is work in progress. Once the code is mature
enough, it will be merged into the main PyMOL program. At that stage the
github repository will become obsolete.

Features:

   * multiple files per plugin/module
   * user plugin directory
   * rarely used plugins can be disabled for better performance and
     enabled on demand
   * metadata support
   * install from online repositories
   * persistent settings for plugins
   * fully backwards compatible with existing plugins

I welcome any kind of feedback. In particular if something does not work
as expected.

Incompatible with: http://pymolwiki.org/index.php/Plugindirectory

See also: http://pymolwiki.org/index.php/PluginArchitecture

Thomas Holder