Hi Martin,

PyMOL does not keep track of which files the objects were loaded from.
If you wanted, you could wrap the load command in with your own load
command that keeps track of such information, for example in a
dictionary. That could look something like this:

def load_with_props(fileName, objName):

  # store whatever info you want, like the filename

  obj_info[objName] = fileName

  # ... do more recording of properties you choose

  # ask PyMOL to now load the file

  cmd.load(fileName,objName)

Then you could just query obj_info based on object name:

for obj in cmd.get_names():
  print obj_info[obj]

Cheers,

-- Jason

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 3:44 AM, Martin Hediger <ma....@bluewin.ch> wrote:
> Dear List
> I'm frequently loading a number of objects into PyMOL which formally
> have the same name, but are different in structure. Sometimes it can
> become a bit difficult to keep track of which object is what.
> Is there a way to display technical information about a loaded object?
> Say, the file path to the loaded PDB file? That would be great.
>
> Thanks for hints.
> Martin

Jason Vertrees, PhD
PyMOL Product Manager