Hi James,

maybe something like this could help. It finds contacts between charged
sidechains and prints the number of contacts in each state (requires
get_raw_distances from [1] or [2]).

# region of interest
select roi, chain A

# charged residues
select positive, resn ARG+LYS and not name N+O
select negative, resn GLU+ASP and not name N+O

# increase cutoff
set h_bond_cutoff_center, 5.0
set h_bond_cutoff_edge , 5.0

# find polar contacts
delete saltbridges
distance saltbridges, roi and negative, roi and positive, mode=2
hide label

# count contacts in each state
python
try:
     get_raw_distances
except NameError:
     from psico.querying import get_raw_distances

for state in range(1, cmd.count_states()+1):
     sb = get_raw_distances('saltbridges', state)
     print ' %2d charged contacts in state %d' % (len(sb), state)
python end

[1] http://pymolwiki.org/index.php/Get_raw_distances
[2] http://pymolwiki.org/index.php/Psico

--