Hey, I've been doing a lot of work with PDB assemblies, which are
distributed as multi-state structures. I would like to be able to align
them based on individual chains from individual states. However, I haven't
been able to figure out any way to uniquely identify atoms by state.

The select statement contains a `state` parameter, but as noted in this
2010 thread
<https://www.mail-archive.com/pymol-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg08224.html>
it doesn't seem to do anything. The thread also suggests using
cmd.get_model(), but I'm not sure how to get a selection based on a
chempy.models.Indexed instance.

My current workaround is to split_states, use alter to make all the chains
unique, then merge the structures again. This is incredibly tedious. Does
anyone know a better way?

It would be nice if (1) the select command were fixed, and/or (2) add a
property selector for states.

Cheers,
Spencer