Hi Brenton -

To avoid coloring e.g. Glycine when you only want to color e.g. guanine, prefix
the residue name with “D” (as the residues are shown in the Sequence viewer)
for DNA.  I believe RNA works the same way with “R” as well.

set cartoon_color, green, resn DG

To color the DNA backbone, you could try:

color pink, resn DA+DC+DG+DT and bb.

or, if you know the chain IDs,

color pink, 2XCT and chain A+B+C+D+E and bb.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jared

--
Jared Sampson
Xiangpeng Kong Lab

On Mar 24, 2015, at 11:47 PM, Brenton Horne