Hi Smith,

The colors are interpolated linearly from the minimum to the maximum value.
'spectrum' allows specifying the extreme values, which is handy when you
need a symmetric scale. If you color green_yellow_blue, you get a green to
yellow gradient from min to (min+max)/2 and a yellow to blue gradient from
there to max. With more colors you'll get more of those intervals.

Hope it helps,

Tsjerk