Hi Adam,

Well, for putting it on the Pymol wiki, I'll at least have to wait and see
how far my students got with integrating the routine in a webservice. If
they already managed, it will be as easy as submitting the structure and
saying what membrane you want. Otherwise, it will require some downloads
and installs to get the proper programs in place, before it becomes as
simple as running a single command specifying the protein and membrane.

If you and your students would like to try it out, I can give some pointers
and provide my scripts to get it done. The wiki will have to wait a bit,
but it will come.

Cheers,

Tsjerk
On Feb 2, 2016 5:33 PM, "H. Adam Steinberg" <h.adam.steinb...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Tsjerk,
>
> Can you add an example of generating a “real” membrane around a protein to
> the gallery of the PyMOLwiki?
>
> My students would love to have easy access to that!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Adam
>
> On Feb 2, 2016, at 1:39 AM, Tsjerk Wassenaar <tsje...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Annemarie,
>
> It's actually quite simple to generate a real membrane around your protein
> and, e.g., to show the head groups. Do you have a PDB ID for the protein,
> or are they in-house models?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tsjerk
>
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 10:57 PM, Julian Heinrich <jul...@joules.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi Annemarie,
>>
>> Have you tried the following?
>> cmd.translate([x,y,z], object='membrane')
>>
>> replace x,y,z with your translation vector.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Julian
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 8:33 AM, Honegger Annemarie <honeg...@bioc.uzh.ch
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to show some cell surface receptors and to indicate their
>>> position relative to the membrane.
>>>
>>> I thought to indicate the plane of the membrane by a flat disk, a ago
>>> cylinder.
>>>
>>> x1,y1,z1 = 0, -1, 0 # start point
>>> r1,g1,b1 = 1, 1, 0 # color (yellow)
>>> x2,y2,z2 = 0, -2, 0 # end point