Hi,

On 4/4/16 6:04 PM, João M. Damas wrote:
> formula you present gives "twice" the BSA, depending of the definition

Agreed on all points, except that by my reading of the literature (since
the days of Chothia and colleagues, 1970s through this century), the
definition for BSA (or more accurately, total BSA) is the surface area
buried on both (or all) components. So, Fotis' formula is accurate, in
my opinion. CCP4's PISA defines an "interface area" that matches your
definition (unfortunately, that term has also been used inconsistently
in the literature). Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong on this.

For the reasons you have stated on different ways to calculate BSA such
as the solvent probe radius, I would use a published package, such as
PISA, for calculating BSA (and multiply the "interface area" by two :) )
if I intend to publish that number.

Engin