Hi Martin,

If you simply want to be able to have the function operate on any
selection, simply do this:

def zoom_custom(position):
  cmd.zoom(position)

cmd.extend("zoom_custom", zoom_custom)

This allows you to type:

zoom_custom resi 117

or any other more complicated selection syntax without any parentheses.
Perhaps I am missing something in your specific requirements?

Cheers,
Rob

--
Robert L. Campbell, Ph.D.